76. FREEDOM FREEWARE
Even a simple decision like buying MS Office software was something people had to really think about before purchasing the merchandise because prices weren’t exactly affordable.
It gets even worse with specialist software for web design or architecture. In fact, the price factor was what triggered the birth and the boom of the global pirated software market.
But even that’s going to change in the next couple of years.
Just like movies and music that can now be enjoyed or downloaded for free online, the Internet is now outsmarting software companies (and heck, even the software pirates) by offering free versions of similar software.
In fact, after significant amount of surf time on the web, you’ll discover that there are online versions of most of the world’s best loved sofware being offered for free.
Do I hear you going ‘WHAT?! FREE?!”
Yes, indeed. You heard me. F-R-E-E-E-E-E!!
In fact, the list of such free software grows exponentially week by week.
No longer does one have to sneak around back alleys for a pirated Office 2007.
Now you have a whole host of similar software available for download online, thanks to 2 new words in the industry that bypass all the rules – ‘Creative Commons License’ and ‘Open Source’
Yes, folks with the rapidly growing online community, the Internet is poised to now be the place to download all sorts of software without even making a dent in your wallet or breaking the law.
It all works through this wonderful thing of experiencing total freedom from the clutches of the ’30-day Free Trial periods’, cumbersome product keys and o yea unnecessary time spent in court getting your ass sued off just coz you didn’t read the fine print.
Today’s web technology puts software where it firmly needs to be: Directly into the hands of the user.
In fact, unlike the software behemoths of yesteryear who weren’t really talking to their users, least of all being concerned with their difficulties or frustrations, free online software providers rely heavily on them as they know that their end consumer is the one who continually helps them, the providers, to fine tune the software through crucial feedback and discussion.
And who could argue with that type of working style?
It’s a beautiful synergy unheard of in the stuffy boxed-up world of Microsoft or Oracle.
It’s truly a coming together of the forces of Internet freedom and we should all bask in it while we can and so far no one’s complaining.
I’m not either. 🙂
Check out some of the amazing free software you can get from the Net below.
Free Office Software
1. Open Office – OpenOffice.org is a multi-platform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute. It comes fromÃ‚Â Sun Microsystems and is considered the best among free Word processing options out there.
2. UltraPad – Ultra-Pad is a cool freeware advanced skinnable word Processor application for windows 95 and later. It features some of the most advanced features you would ever want in a word processor, some of the features you won’t even find in MS Word. GO FOR IT!
Scriptwriting & Storyboard
1. Celtx – Bet you thought First Draft hadconquered the market didn’t you? Well not anymore! Celtx, a brand new freeware is a producer’s dream come true with everything you need for your pre-production needs from scripting to story boarding and more.
And what’s even sweeter is that it also enables online collaboration for all platforms Mac, Linux and Windows. Check it out!
1.GIMP – I really thought I was going to have to sell my soul to buy original Photoshop software late last year when I stumbled and fell flat on my face with this wonder. A GNU Image Manipulation freeware – GIMP is the Internet’s answer to Adobe’s ridiculously priced Photoshop software and it comes with all the sweet functions of its famous ancestor and more! If you don’t download this into your PC, you’re either mental or totally berserk. O, and it works for all operating systems. N-I-C-EEEE!
1. KompoZer – A web designer’s dream come true as opposed to the high-priced Dreamweaver MX. With KompoZer, web authoring has become a simplified thing, kinda like the Mac’s iWeb. It’s also very much based on the WYSIWYG mode. Go get it!
1. Avira AntiVirus – Once upon a time AVG was the buzzword for free anti-virus but beware! The company is starting to charge and that’s when I got completely turned off. So who’s waiting in the lines to pounce itself into the market in a big way? Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Avira Antivirus. It’s free and it’s the new kid on the block with shiny shoes. You know you want this.